a nod to yesterday :)

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

today had the pleasure of helping my friends pick up their new vintage table for their restaurant.
gorgeous old wood weathered with years of use...smooth to the touch.
it made me smile when I saw it...
and it made me wonder who had the pleasure of sitting at it in its lifetime...

I'm not exactly why I have such a love for things that are vintage or antique...
but I definitely like to mix it with something minimal and modern...
sort of a nod to yesterday while starting a new beginning.  :)

whatever the reason, I seriously enjoyed this months kreatid challenge [vintage]!
seeing through your lens' into what you viewed as vintage made me smile...
teaming up with heather at sew over it was especially fitting and fun...her johnny carson messenger bag was coveted by many of you (including me!) as the prize this month...so THANK YOU heather! :)

on to the winners!

my personal favorite this month was from jamie ashton...funny tid bit, when she entered this photograph I was taken aback at the beauty of her hdr editing...and then I noticed her logo and smiled.  it was in my friend kacey's handwriting!  I had remembered seeing jamie's amazing flash course not too long ago and I was seriously happy to see her photograph entered in this months challenge...stunning, beautiful work jamie! :)

 
(for those of you who just scratched your head on what is hdr?!  high dynamic range...where you take several photographs and layer them adjusting curves and levels and create amazing drama in one photograph...a beautiful art form!  a great tutorial with examples is here if you want to learn more.)

in third place was summer montoya's T-8 Air Force Trainer...gorgeous! the pin up is my favorite! :)

summer's words...
"I dig old planes - big time! I love the pin up girl on the side, the riveting, the colors...all the great things that make this training plane unique."

in second place was emily johnston's clothesline...

emily's words...
"A clothesline was a news forecast, to neighbors passing by.
There were no secrets you could keep when clothes were hung to dry.
It also was a friendly link, for neighbors always knew
If company had stopped on by to spend a night or two.
For then you’d see the “fancy” sheets and towels upon the line.
You’d see the “company tablecloth” with intricate design.
The line announced a baby’s birth, from folks who lived inside
As brand-new infant clothes were hung, so carefully with pride!
The ages of the children could so readily by known;
By watching how the sizes changed, you’d know how much they’d grown!
It also told when illness struck, as extra sheets were hung;
Then nightclothes, and a bathrobe, too haphazardly were strung.
It also said, “Gone on vacation now,” when lines hung limp and bare.
It told, “We’re back!” when full lines sagged with not an inch to spare!
New folks in town were scorned upon, if wash was dingy and gray,
As neighbors carefully raised their brows, and looked the other way…
But clotheslines now are of the past, for dryers make work much less.
Now what goes on inside a home is anybody’s guess!
I really miss that way of life - it was a friendly sign;
When neighbors knew each other best by what hung on the line.
(-anonymous)"
love it and LOVE the emotion you created with this photograph! :)

and our winner for this months kreatid challenge [vintage]?
theresa hodge's miele bike!

theresa's words...
"An old bike on the streets of Cordoba. Interestingly enough this bike was likely made in Canada and is a vintage model.

I have always loved riding and working on bicycles. Since my first paper route at about 8 years old it was always about saving up enough money to trick out my bike a little more. I loved working on it myself and finding new ways to upgrade what I had.

While walking the streets in Cordoba Spain a few weekends ago I stumbled on this bike and immediately loved this fender with the logo. This photo incorporates two of my lifelong loves, design and bicycles."
I simply LOVE what catches your eye theresa...and this was a perfect win for this months vintage challenge...gorgeous! :)

thank you all for participating and thank you heather for the amazing prize this month!


p.s. I'm going to be taking a break from these challenges for a bit...I've got some things to catch up on...but the challenges will be back if there's still interest!  thanks so much for participating!  :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment